Thursday, April 22, 2010

Fourth week in VA already?! No way!

Time flies when you're having fun and working hard! It's been another busy week in Virginia Beach, and I really can't believe that our time here is over halfway complete!

Last weekend was nice and relaxing - Friday afternoon we were let off of work early so that we could work on our tans. Funny story from the beach - Katie and I were laying on our towels, watching Amalia skimboard as the waves came in, when Jose (Amalia's grandfather) came down to the beach to deliver glasses of wine and fried plantains to Katie and I. Jose is a very charming gentleman, so of course he had something very beautiful sounding to say to us in Spanish (he's also somewhat of a poet, and even though I have no idea what he's saying, it sounds very nice). He didn't stay to visit with us, and thus retreated back into the house. A few minutes after Jose went inside, a guy about the same age as Katie and I, who had watched this whole exchange, came up to us and asked, "Did that old guy just bring you girls a glass of wine?" We answered yes. He then asked, "Do you know him?!" We explained that yes, we knew him. He then said, "Well, I guess that makes it not creepy then." Apparently he was concerned that we were being served alcoholic beverages by an older gentleman that we didn't know. Katie and I got a good laugh out of the young man's concern. Amalia had Cotillion Friday night, so it was fun seeing her dressed up to head off to the dance. She is such a pretty girl :) Our evening was spent chilling at home eating delivered pizza and watching a movie, and not working on homework.

On Saturday, Katie and I went to watch Amalia, Roberto, and Juan as they practiced Kendo (an interesting Japanese sport that involves swords (both bamboo and real) and specially trained movements)...Google it for me info - it's neat. It was very fun to watch them do something that they all love so much. Saturday evening was prom for Roberto (he's a high school junior), and rather than going out to dinner with his date and a group of friends, a bunch of kids were invited over to our house for heavy appetizers and mingling. So, after having the house cleaned and the gardens weeded/spruced up, a house-full of guests arrived. I think there were a total of eight couples (so 16 kids), plus parents to most of the kids that came. It was a very full house. The food was catered - and was very good. Pictures were taken. The kids all looked so nice dressed up.

Sunday was a homework day. Katie and I spent a good portion of the afternoon camped out at a coffee shop reading journal articles and taking notes - it was great fun. The coffee was really great...I had a coconut mocha that was fantastic. And the coffeeshop itself was decorated with a tropical, Hawaiian decor. Very fun place to be productive :)

This week on rotation, we spent time doing the normal things (ICU rounds in the morning, reviewing patient cases, medication reviews with nephrology patients), as well as a few new things. Tuesday, Katie and I spent time with the ER pharmacist. It was a very slow day in the emergency department, though, so we didn't really get to see anything "cool" (aka horribly traumatic). Wednesday, we watched a coronary artery bypass graft surgery - which was AWESOME. We were in scrubs, standing about 2.5 feet from an exposed beating heart as the surgeon operated. The patient was a smoker, and it was very dramatic to see his blackened lungs - so gross. Message to all: DO NOT SMOKE, BECAUSE IT'LL MAKE YOUR LUNGS LOOK GROSS (not to mention numerous other horrible things). Monday and Thursday, we meet with several patients throughout the hospital to teach them about their medication Coumadin. It was a busy week that went by very fast!


On Thursday night, Katie and I drove into Norfolk to attend concert of the Goo Goo Dolls at the Norva. I love the venue - we've been there two other times now for concerts (Fanfarlo and Needtobreathe). The place was packed for the Goo Goo Dolls, and we were very thankful that we had VIP tickets so that we could stand in the balcony and not fight the crowds on the floor. The music was great, and just when I thought I'd heard all of their big hits from throughout the years, they'd play another great song. It was a ton of fun, and with my super fantastic camera, I got some great shots :)

That's about all for now. Katie and I have a lot to get completed this weekend in regards to patient cases and stuff for our pharmacy portfolio - but the end is in sight! Only one more week of rotations EVER! (Well, for me anyways...Katie is doing a residency next year, which is kind of like a rotation except she has more authority and gets paid.) Graduation is so close!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment