We began the week with a day of work, followed by some time at the beach at the Atlantic coast. After a quick stop at Ben & Jerry's for a highly nutritious snack, we slipped off our sandals and let our feet have some fun in the sand. This was our first visit to the sandy beach of the Atlantic shore - and it was incredible. The air was chilly and a storm was rapidly approaching, so we didn't have our bathing suits on and weren't planning on going into the water. We took some photos of the beach and the surf. Since we didn't want to hold on to our shoes while taking pictures, we set them down on the sand for just a bit. That ended up being a bad idea, because a large wave came up and I had to chase my sandals to catch them before they drifted out to sea. You'd think I'd have learned my lesson and not set my shoes down so that they could drift away again, but no, I apparently did not. I set them down again a few minutes later, along with my sunglasses, and had to chase my belongs after they threatened to be taken to sea by another large wave. In the end, the waves ended up being too big and tempting, and we had too much fun wading out into the water a little ways, and then running away when the big waves came after us. We ended up getting fairly wet (my skirt and Katie's shorts were definitely not dry). We had a great time though :) We plan on going back at the end of the week with our swim suits so that we can really get soaked by the waves!
Tuesday was our last day at the hospital with our ICU clinical pharmacist preceptor. We gave our final presentation in the afternoon, and by golly, it felt great to get that over with! The lessen I learned from that patient case was that whenever I am faced with something I don't want to do or something that seems unpleasant, at least I don't have neurocysticercosis.
Tuesday night, Katie, Juan, Roberto, and I went to a concert at the Norva for a band named Phoenix. I'd never really listened to them before, but I recognized their music from a car commercial. Turns out, they are super great! After a brief discussion after the concert, we decided their genre of music is indie dance. Check them out; they're a lot of fun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4MXFOMpVIw&feature=related
On Wednesday, Katie and I spent the morning at the nephrology office visiting with home dialysis patients. It was neat to get to talk with them about their dialysis...makes me feel very fortunate to have healthy, functioning kidneys. After work, Juan, Katie, and I went to a state park located just a few miles from the house...it was a perfect day for a hike. The three of us did a trail that meandered around swampland with beautiful Spanish moss hanging from the trees - it was so cool looking! Juan ended up having to leave to pick Amalia up from school, but Katie and I were really enjoying ourselves and decided to stay and continue hiking. Neither one of us had a map, or a cell phone, but we figured we could navigate and eventually make it back to the car (and we did succeed in that, obviously). The land in the park was very diverse - swampy areas, a deep blue river, sandy river beaches, forest, hills, flat land. We had fun exploring some off-the-beaten-path paths. We saw a decent amount of wildlife - a couple sweet looking birds, salamanders, a snake's skin (which obviously isn't alive, but is proof of the snakes), turtles, snails, dogs, and humans. At the end of our hiking adventure, we had walked 6-7 miles worth of trails...it was great!
Right now it's laundry time for Katie and I...and not time to do homework. It feels so great to be done with homework and portfolios, and to only have two more days left of rotations!
No comments:
Post a Comment