Wednesday, June 17, 2009

And the work week continues...

I must warn you up front...now that my rotation has officially begun, there isn't going to be as much for me to write about and therefore, I won't be updating QD (that's "every day" in pharmacy slang...haha).

Tuesday my workday began at 8am. This means that I had to leave the apartment shortly before 6:30am. Yuck! But, I better get used to it, because my schedule is basically 8-4:30 M-F. Not a bad schedule, if the commute didn't make me have to get up so early! Oh well. I enjoy being able to take the MAX - not having to deal with traffic and parking is so super :)

I spent my morning (well, the first 6.5 hours of my shift) researching testosterone supplementation in women. Lots, LOTS, of reading. But I learned a lot about dosing, formulations, side effects, benefits....and so on. The last hour and a half, I was able to hang out in the lab. I observed a technician calculating and preparing a powder mixture that would later be encapsulated. She was really nice and energetic, and we had a good time working together. Have I mentioned yet that I love the people at this rotation? Because I really do.

After commuting home, Allison and I attempted to make the trek back into the city together. Unfortunately, we missed the MAX by about a minute. Taking the next one would have gotten us into the city too late to see the attraction that we wanted to visit (the Portland Aerial Tram). We were both a bit upset that it didn't work out. Instead, we just went home. That turned out to be ok, though, because I needed to figure out how to get to the airport the next morning, do some homework, and get to bed early. Allison was flying out in the morning.

This morning (Wednesday) was an early one. We woke up at 3:20am. It was miserable being awake that early. We left at 3:45am, and were able to take the MAX all the way to the airport (only having to transfer lightrails once). We got her boarding pass, and then headed to security. There we said our goodbyes...sadness. We definitely made some good memories on this trip together :)

I had some time before I needed to be to work, so I found a coffee shop where I could purchase some caffeine and breakfast. At work by 8am, and I garbed up for the lab right away. My morning was spent encapsulating powder mixtures. It was a lot harder than it looked...and definitely requires some technique. I made two batches of 100 capsules. Besides the fact that I had to wear my Darth Vader-like mask that made breathing seem very constricted, it was fun. The afternoon was spent researching, today about estriol, and also about compounding legality issues.

Four-thirty came around, and it was time to commute home. The MAX was super full, so I had to stand for awhile. I always feel adventurous when I have to stand on the lightrail. Then when I finally found a seat, it was next to a sleeping guy. Turns out he wasn't sleeping...he was drunk and passed out. By 5pm. Bum. He wasn't bothering anyone, and I rode home patiently. But then he started moving - first he tried to put his feet up on the lap of a woman sitting close to him. She yelled at him, and then switched seats. Then he fell over onto my shoulder. I had to push him off, and then I went back to standing. He did end up waking up and getting off...finally.

I made it home, and have had an enjoyable, relaxing evening. Definitely going to bed early tonight - tomorrow is sure to come early again. Sorry, no photos today. I'll have to take some pics of my pharmacy to post someday soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment